Revisions weren’t completely met, so I had to change my approach to accommodate the visuals we have now. The new approach to the visuals would be taking the literal wayang and have it modernised.
For this, I made a rough draft of the interior and discussed it with the creative director. The bar elements and the warteg elements stayed in although I couldn’t imagine lower class people wanting to come in and dine somewhere that looks expensive.
After deliberation, I made a new creative brief, which was incomplete for the creative director, with his consent – he didn’t exactly want to make a new one.
Here is the creative brief I typed up:
As for the final visual system and the interior, here are the files:
week 7 – 8
Waya hasn’t progressed far, although the designer has been pushed, the results still aren’t quite satisfactory so more revisions are due.
After an unfortunate event, I have been reassigned to become the graphic designer for Barteg. This project is about the unlikely combination of soething highclass – a bar – and something considered low class – warteg, which is a small canteen area that sells cheap food for a big portion – coming together to form a Barteg. This was the short brief I received:
Barteg is a bar and dining area aimed at the lower class people of Jakarta. This is a place where people can socialise with any social class while enjoying good food for cheap. The interior will have both a bar and warteg nuance.
I was asked to create the interior and reimagine the visual system.
Keywords I caught were playful and social.
For this week, my graphic designer made some fashion image manipulation using the wayang silhouette to create something modern, but way too literal for what I had imagined. I told him to revise it and make something similar to what he did earlier last week – pattern exploration – so that the result would be more abstract.
This week, I started on the characters and card designs based on last week’s feedback session with my creative director. The colors were also brainstormed together as we agreed on bright, primary colors to attract kids.
Here are the characters I made so far (only some have been given their respective costumes):
Waya is the project chosen by both me and the lecturers of this class. It is a campaign that aims at reviving Indonesian culture (traditional arts). Waya will focus on Indonesia’s wayang – more specifically wayang kulit.
The project itself will be based on creating a more modern take of the traditional beauty. Basing it on the story of Ramayana, the product campaign – direct competition of “Damn! I Love Indonesia” – will take elements of the story and create a more abstract version of wayang.
To create this, I gave my graphic designer – Seth – the summary of Ramayana and explained what I wanted through the creative brief.
Chance! is a game aimed at children that has the goal of getting rid of gender specific roles. Using that concept, the game will be about life and its chances, the characters in the game and the colors used will not use any gender specific colors like blue or pink.
For this, I sketched some logos, but after a new moodboard based on the fairly odd parents cartoon, its been decided that the game’s graphics will be based upon basic shapes such as squares and circles.
Here are the logos digitally:
The main type is decided as Fabada as it has a childish vibe and seems friendly.
So for the past few classes, we learned about how we can earn money as designers. Many types of jobs are available for us and also in many ways, we can join a company – big or small – or start out on our own as a freelancer.
Read More »
We started our brainstorming and sketching and making key visuals since we’re nearing the final week.
I made a mindmap on shape shifting suit and chose three keywords that stood out to me, which are:
Change, Futuristic, and Imaginative
I then made moodboards of them and continued to make sketches based on the keywords.
The first sketch is just dividing the photo in half to show two forms with one background, symbolising transformation. The second one is taking it more literally and having a transformation similar to Mystique’s (Xmen).
After this, I made key visuals:
This is my first key visual and it’s not the best, but it gets my point across. I thought that the second sketch would look better, so I made a key visual based on that:
I like this key visual better, but still not quite satisfied with it, so I decided to use illustration in my ad. Since I’m aiming for an illustration portfolio, this was something I thought was appropriate.
Here are the final ads:
The first is for instagram and the second for twitter.
The captions in each are in the screenshot I made, in this file:
For week 2, we discussed the essentials of copywriting and how copywriting works through TVC and Radios. We were then tasked to make our own radio ad for martabak manis.
Here is my monologue:
Read More »
During the first week, we learnt the basics of what copywriting is and steps to effective copywriting.
Read More »
So for this class, the first 6 weeks is dedicated to rejuvenating a brand of our choosing. We were also put into groups randomly to do this. My group consists of Sandra, Gia, and I.
Read More »
This week’s assignment was to find creative studios and creative/art directors who inspire us.
Read More »